A Fun Video of the Fashion Show Extravaganza!
For those of you who were not able to make this event on the 5th, here is a fabulous video that Forseti Svarog made. As you will see the designers created some amazing fashions! Enjoy! Also, do not hesitate to contact me in world if you have any ideas for future Girls Night Out events with iVillage!
Feb 15, 2007 | Permalink |
A Successful Fashion Extravaganza!
On Monday morning, I went to the iVillage runway and there were already dozens of residents staking out their spot for a chance to see the new fashions by caLLie cLine, Simone! and Paper Couture! I was so excited to know that people were so interested in the event. I knew this event was going to be a hit just like all the other Girls Night Out with iVillage events! Needless to say, this one was going to be bigger and grander because there were 4 sims in total and each was filled to capacity. We had about 150 residents at the stage watching the models grace the runway while DJ Naydee McGettigan spun some hot tunes!
First off the runway was Paper Couture. The Lu sisters' innovative designs and attention to detail is astounding! They added fun embellishments like ruffles, sequins and of course plunging necklines adorned with fanastic jewelry to catch the audience's attention. I have to say my favorite was gown was the "Acacia Gown" as seen here.
Second in line was caLLie cLine who showed off her whimsical, funky and sexy designs . She introduced us to her new monogram line that includes jewlery, hats, scarves and clothes. caLLie showed her fun side with "Army Baby" and then dazzled us at the with "Blue Bubble Baby" shown below.
Then as a surprise guest, Jo Piazza from the Daily News graced the runway in an ensemble from all of our 3 designers. I just love this fun pose she did before she left the runway!
Then last but not least, we saw elegance and glamour with Simone Design! Simone showed us that she can design sexy sundresses to fabulous wedding gowns. I really adored her
"Cherie" dress in red with her flowered corsages on the bodice and tied it all together with a hat!
I had an amazing time as the announcer of the event! Thank you so much to all who helped make this night possible, Forseti, Barnesworth, Aspire Modeling Agency, caLLie cLine, Paper Couture, Simone and of course you! Thank you to all who could come and enjoy another wonderful Girls Night Out event with iVillage. I know that some of you had some lag issues. It was such busy event that we maxed out the sims. For those of you who watched it on DTV, at Aspire and at Simone, thanks again for enjoying the show with us!
As always, if you have any questions about future Girls Night Out events with iVillage, shoot me an IM in world!
Feb 9, 2007 | Permalink |
MONDAY - FASHION EXTRAVAGANZA!
I know everyone is chatting about this event in SL and in the real world. We are so excited for this event! There will be FABULOUS fashions gracing the iVillage runway at 6 pm SL or 9 pm EST. Make sure to come early! There will be 3 sims to choose from to see the event. We think all the sims will be maxed out. But don't worry! If you cannot get in world, please watch the event LIVE on the web at [http://dtv.sheeplabs.com]
You will see the creativity and talent of 3 top SL designers:
Paper Couture [http://slurl.com/secondlife/barcola/79/125/25/]
And we need to thank Bianca Darling for her wonderful Aspire models that will be strutting their stuff down the runway.
Bring your questions for the designers. After each designer has shown their designs, there will be a Q&A with the audience.
If you have any questions about this fantastic event, contact Cider Starbrook in world.
Can't wait to see you there!
Feb 3, 2007 | Permalink |
Fashion Extravaganza during the real life NYC Fashion Week!
Fashion stylists in LA, New York, London, Paris and beyond all agree that the coolest thing is to have your own unique style.
Little wonder then that Second Life has its own thriving fashion community. What with designer labels, shoes to die for, funky hairstyles, make-up for any occasion and accessories galore, female fashion designers in Second Life are creating quite a name for themselves.
To celebrate this union of creativity and personal style for all, iVillage is showcasing three top virtual clothing designers as part of their third in a series of Girls Night Out events. For the first time ever, this unique Fashion Extravaganza will occur during New York City's Fashion Week.
You'll be the first to see chic outfits from caLLie cLine, Simone! and the designs from Paper Couture - fashion delights that have captured the latest virtual fashion trends. Their stunning work will grace the iVillage catwalk on February 5th at 6 pm SL time or 9 pm EST. Just like a real life fashion show, iVillage's will be run by Second Life's most renowned Modeling Agency ASpiRE!
After the showcasing of their new fabulous fashion lines, residents will also have the opportunity to ask the designers questions. And as an iVillage's gift to you, each resident will walk away with a stylish Fashion Extravaganza Goodie Bag will hand-selected items from these extremely talented designers. There isn't a fashionista out there that could turn down an invite to such an exciting evening.
NYC Fashion week...eat your heart out. Get fashion forward and join us at iVillage's Fashion Extravaganza for the next in vogue Girls Night Out event!
Jan 26, 2007 | Permalink |
What a Fun 2nd Event with Stroker and Juel!
Well we had an incredible turnout on Thursday night last week for the 2nd Girls Night Out event! Thanks for all of those who attended!
Also, we had dozens of residents join the iVillage Girls Night Out Group! If you want to join the group, it is really easy. All you have to do in-world is simply look up iVillage Girls Night Out under Groups and join for tour updates and notices. You will get reminders about Girls Night Out events so you never miss out. The next event will be at the beginning of February... details coming soon!
Thanks again to Cory, Stroker and Juel for a fun and successful Girls Night Out with iVillage!
If you or you know someone in Second Life that would want to be a curator for a Girls Night Out event, please let me know! You can add a comment here or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, as always, contact me in-world.
Jan 10, 2007 | Permalink |
Today, Jan 4th, Girls Night Out
I am so excited about today's Second Girls Night Out event with iVillage. As I mentioned before, this event is going to address sexuality in Second Life. We will meet at the iVillage Loft on Sheep Island at 6pm SL/9 pm ET. Following on from our last event, we have added some improvements to make sure the experience is even more memorable and enjoyable!
For those new to Second Life, there will be avatars wearing STAFF t-shirts and GUIDE t-shirts. Just look for them and they will assist you in getting a "HUD" Heads-Up Display. We recently revised the HUD a tad, so please make sure to accept the newer version in your inventory!
As many of you know, Stroker Serpentine is one of the most influential people in exploring sexuality in Second Life. He will talk about his life in-world, particularly his personal experiences and knowledge about the sex industry. In other words, this is going to be a great evening where you can ask questions and listen to topics that you have always been interested in with fellow SL residents in-world!
Afterwards, we will head back to the iVillage Loft where Juel Resistance will be, singing away. She has been known to really bring out people's emotions, and touch their souls with her thoughtful lyrics and intriguing voice. This is going to be a night that I won't forget! And if there are too many people in-world, or you do not have access to Second Life, we are streaming a video of the even on DTV's website: http://dtv.sheeplabs.com. Be sure to tell your friends. I know they do not want to miss out on this fun-filled, informative and entertaining evening!
- Cider Starbrook
Note: DTV found at http://dtv.sheeplabs.com. allows users to interact with Second Life through a Web browser. Everything the DTV avatar sees is streamed in a live quicktime feed to the dtv website and all text chat that the DTV avatar "hears" is displayed on the webpage. DTV is also "interactive", in that you can allow type messages through the DTV avatar, move the DTV avatar from buttons, or change the avatar's camera views all on this website!
Girls Night Out Instructions
Here are some instructions and tips to help you get the most out of your Girls Night Out experience.
**Grab a free HUD!
- A HUD is a Heads Up Display - it acts like a new customized window on your Second Life screen that only you can see. Using the iVillage HUD is easy:
- click the giant pink Champagne glass either at the entrance to the loft by the stairs, or in the corner of the living room by the patio doors.
- a notice will appear on your screen thanking you by name and letting you know your HUD will be delivered to you momentarily. (You only have to click the glass once - it can take up to a minute for you to get the HUD.)
- You will get a blue message window in the top right of your screen saying "An object named SLB Broker owned by Electric Sheep has given you an object named 'Girls Night Out HUD'". Click the "Keep" button to accept the HUD.
- Open your Inventory folder, then open your Objects folder. The HUD should be right at the top of your list of Objects. Simply right click the HUD in your inventory and choose "Wear". That's it! The HUD will appear on your screen - it may take a few moments to load fully.
- If you want to remove the HUD from your screen, just right click the HUD on your screen and choose "Detach". Your HUD will still be in your inventory for you to wear again if you wish.
**Using your HUD
- Your HUD is designed to help you participate in the iVillage tour. Use it like you would any software menu, just click on the buttons!
- The most useful part of the HUD is how it helps you get to the tour locations. They're numbered in the tiny boxes below the main picture on the right. The first and last locations are the iVillage loft. The ones in between are the locations the tour will be visiting. Just click the numbered picture for a full description of the location, and then click the Teleport button on the bottom to get a Landmark to that location. Click Teleport on the Landmark when it appears on your screen, and you're off - easy!
- Other useful information on the HUD is the name and photo of the tour host/ess for the evening, a quick link to the iVillage blog website with additional information, and an auto-update feature that updates your HUD with the next tour information as soon as its available...all you have to do it wear it!
**Other helpful information
- If you're brand new to Second Life, there's a lot more to the interface then we have space to go over here...it can be pretty intensive. However, to do the basics - move and chat - keep this in mind: use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move, type what you want to say in chat into the Chat bar at the bottom of your screen and hit Enter to say it, and use your Page Up/Page Down/arrow keys to fly and land.
- There will be a support staff in place for the iVillage tours - look for the avatars in the pink STAFF shirts if you have questions. They will also have text above their names identifying them as iVillage tour staff.
- The Tour Guide will accompany you to the tour locations and will help guide the tour along. The Tour Guide will wear a yellow shirt that says GUIDE, and also have text above his/her name stating that they're the tour guide for the evening.
**How do I listen to music in Second Life?
- For some tour events, we will end with a live musical guest back at the loft. In these events, you can listen along to the musical stream right from Second Life.
- First, along the top left of your screen, go to Edit > Preferences. Click on the Audio & Video tab. Make sure that "Play Streaming Music When Available" box is checked. Then click OK.
- You should now have a small music player tab at the bottom of your screen, with stop, play, and volume controls. Just click the Play button (triangle) to listen to the stream. (It might take a moment to connect.) You may have to adjust the volume slider and/or your system volume to set the volume to your preference.
Now, you can enjoy Girls Night Out events to the fullest!
Jan 3, 2007 | Permalink |
Meet Stroker Serpentine On The Second Girls Night Out
I'm so thrilled to announce that Stroker Serpentine, owner of Stroker's Toyz store and Eros island, will be chatting with us about his adventures in Second Life on the next Girls Night Out with iVillage on January 4th.
Like every GNO event, we will meet at the iVillage Loft on Sheep Island and, with the help of Cory Edo our Tour Guide, teleport to Eros Island. Cory is very excited to lead the discussion with Stroker, "Stroker Serpentine has made the human need for sexual intimacy his own Second Life empire. But beyond having a ubiquitous presence in the ever-popular sex enhancement industry in Second Life through his shop, Stroker's Toyz, and the mini-continent of Eros, Stroker is also a highly educated and erudite conversationalist and a social, civic-minded resident."
The sex industry is one of the most prosperous avenues of business within Second Life as it is particularly appealing for those eager to explore the idea of sexuality as expression and power. In real life, sexuality can be inhibited, whereas in the virtual world there is greater freedom to explore gender identification and role reversal, etc. On January 4th Stroker will discuss his business, explain why he chose this industry in Second Life and share stories from his experience running one of the most famous sex-oriented businesses in Second Life. Needless to say, it is going to be a fun-filled, informative Girls Night Out with iVillage!
Jot it down in your calendars girls, January 4th, 6 pm SL time or 9 pm ET.
I can't wait to see you there!
- Cider Starwood
A Successful First Girls Night Out!
Last night's Girls Night Out with iVillage was an incredible success thanks to you party-going Second Life residents! I hope you enjoyed the music, chatting, dancing, gift-giving and champagne sipping as much as I did. Ultimately, like any girls night out, the best part was chatting with both old and new friends.
Indeed, such was the popularity of our first night out that the iVillage Loft was quickly packed full of energetic and talkative female residents wearing their fancy party gear, (thank you to Celebrity Trollop for my sparkly red shoes, they fit a bit better today!)
Cory Edo did an amazing job as an iVillage Tour Guide. Those who successfully managed to grab a HUD, (a Heads-Up Display which allows you teleport from destination to destination to the Girls Night Out events), accompanied Cory to popular girl destinations and learned more about Stellar Sunshine's beanstalk and Nephilaine Protagonists' Pixel Dolls before returning to the Loft to enjoy a live concert from Cylindrian Rutabaga.
Like any party, you never know how many folks will turn up. The news of Girls Night Out certainly made some headlines as some of you were unfortunately blocked from certain destinations in the tour because these destinations were already full. But the party continued on in the iVillage Loft with conversation at an all-time high. Newbies were eager to learn more about SL, while oldies enjoyed sharing their SL tales and hints on how best to maneuver virtually, (yes, I know it takes a while to figure out how to get around - I walked into a few people myself, sorry!). Needless to say, the dialogue was fantastic and everyone had a lot fun.
For those of you were unable to participate on the tour, Cory will have notecards with all the information you missed, so you'll still be in-the-know on SL's hottest female destinations. If you were unable to grab a HUD last night, don't worry - you can do so anytime at the iVillage Loft. We will shortly be posting directions about how to collect a HUD, store it in your inventory and wear it. It really is a great tool to help you move from place to place without having to type in a destination in search.
I had a wonderful time meeting many of you last night and I hope to see you at future Girls Night Out events. The details about the next event are coming soon, so please bookmark this page and check back often for new announcements about Girls Night Out with iVillage!
Thank you for making the first Girls Night Out a night to remember!
-- Cider Starbrook
Join Us This Thursday Night, December 14th at 6pm SL time at the iVillage Loft!
We are happy to announce the first event for Girls Night Out with iVillage on December 14th! Please join us, 6pm SL time/9 pm EST at the iVillage Loft on Sheep Island. First, our curator, Cory Edo, will gather everyone together, make sure everyone has their HUD (which will guide you through all Girls Night Out events), and answer any initial questions before teleporting us to our first location.
Many residents want to know a little more history about Second Life. Therefore we are beginning with a tour of early Second Life at Stellar Sunshine's beanstalk with Ingrid Ingersoll. You will also have the benefit of landing next to the Crescent Museum, one of longest running and most interesting museums of local art.
After this, we are going to visit to Pixel Dolls to meet Nephilaine Protagonist, one of SL's biggest fashion designers and female pioneers in Second Life. Nephilaine has made Second Life her full-time career, which is way ahead of most people. Enjoy chatting with her about her experience in SL and even shop around for some fun outfits before heading back to the iVillage Loft.
When you return to the iVillage Loft, we will have a live concert with Cylindrian Rutabaga. Her soaring voice and engaging folk guitar strumming will entertain you as you visit with other residents and sip champagne. We hope that you come back to our other Girls Night Out events with iVillage and bring your friends!