Fashion Extravaganza during the real life NYC Fashion Week!
Fashion stylists in LA, New York, London, Paris and beyond all agree that the coolest thing is to have your own unique style.
Little wonder then that Second Life has its own thriving fashion community. What with designer labels, shoes to die for, funky hairstyles, make-up for any occasion and accessories galore, female fashion designers in Second Life are creating quite a name for themselves.
To celebrate this union of creativity and personal style for all, iVillage is showcasing three top virtual clothing designers as part of their third in a series of Girls Night Out events. For the first time ever, this unique Fashion Extravaganza will occur during New York City's Fashion Week.
You'll be the first to see chic outfits from caLLie cLine, Simone! and the designs from Paper Couture - fashion delights that have captured the latest virtual fashion trends. Their stunning work will grace the iVillage catwalk on February 5th at 6 pm SL time or 9 pm EST. Just like a real life fashion show, iVillage's will be run by Second Life's most renowned Modeling Agency ASpiRE!
After the showcasing of their new fabulous fashion lines, residents will also have the opportunity to ask the designers questions. And as an iVillage's gift to you, each resident will walk away with a stylish Fashion Extravaganza Goodie Bag will hand-selected items from these extremely talented designers. There isn't a fashionista out there that could turn down an invite to such an exciting evening.
NYC Fashion week...eat your heart out. Get fashion forward and join us at iVillage's Fashion Extravaganza for the next in vogue Girls Night Out event!
Jan 26, 2007 | Permalink |
What a Fun 2nd Event with Stroker and Juel!
Well we had an incredible turnout on Thursday night last week for the 2nd Girls Night Out event! Thanks for all of those who attended!
Also, we had dozens of residents join the iVillage Girls Night Out Group! If you want to join the group, it is really easy. All you have to do in-world is simply look up iVillage Girls Night Out under Groups and join for tour updates and notices. You will get reminders about Girls Night Out events so you never miss out. The next event will be at the beginning of February... details coming soon!
Thanks again to Cory, Stroker and Juel for a fun and successful Girls Night Out with iVillage!
If you or you know someone in Second Life that would want to be a curator for a Girls Night Out event, please let me know! You can add a comment here or email me at email@example.com. Or, as always, contact me in-world.
Jan 10, 2007 | Permalink |
Today, Jan 4th, Girls Night Out
I am so excited about today's Second Girls Night Out event with iVillage. As I mentioned before, this event is going to address sexuality in Second Life. We will meet at the iVillage Loft on Sheep Island at 6pm SL/9 pm ET. Following on from our last event, we have added some improvements to make sure the experience is even more memorable and enjoyable!
For those new to Second Life, there will be avatars wearing STAFF t-shirts and GUIDE t-shirts. Just look for them and they will assist you in getting a "HUD" Heads-Up Display. We recently revised the HUD a tad, so please make sure to accept the newer version in your inventory!
As many of you know, Stroker Serpentine is one of the most influential people in exploring sexuality in Second Life. He will talk about his life in-world, particularly his personal experiences and knowledge about the sex industry. In other words, this is going to be a great evening where you can ask questions and listen to topics that you have always been interested in with fellow SL residents in-world!
Afterwards, we will head back to the iVillage Loft where Juel Resistance will be, singing away. She has been known to really bring out people's emotions, and touch their souls with her thoughtful lyrics and intriguing voice. This is going to be a night that I won't forget! And if there are too many people in-world, or you do not have access to Second Life, we are streaming a video of the even on DTV's website: http://dtv.sheeplabs.com. Be sure to tell your friends. I know they do not want to miss out on this fun-filled, informative and entertaining evening!
- Cider Starbrook
Note: DTV found at http://dtv.sheeplabs.com. allows users to interact with Second Life through a Web browser. Everything the DTV avatar sees is streamed in a live quicktime feed to the dtv website and all text chat that the DTV avatar "hears" is displayed on the webpage. DTV is also "interactive", in that you can allow type messages through the DTV avatar, move the DTV avatar from buttons, or change the avatar's camera views all on this website!
Girls Night Out Instructions
Here are some instructions and tips to help you get the most out of your Girls Night Out experience.
**Grab a free HUD!
- A HUD is a Heads Up Display - it acts like a new customized window on your Second Life screen that only you can see. Using the iVillage HUD is easy:
- click the giant pink Champagne glass either at the entrance to the loft by the stairs, or in the corner of the living room by the patio doors.
- a notice will appear on your screen thanking you by name and letting you know your HUD will be delivered to you momentarily. (You only have to click the glass once - it can take up to a minute for you to get the HUD.)
- You will get a blue message window in the top right of your screen saying "An object named SLB Broker owned by Electric Sheep has given you an object named 'Girls Night Out HUD'". Click the "Keep" button to accept the HUD.
- Open your Inventory folder, then open your Objects folder. The HUD should be right at the top of your list of Objects. Simply right click the HUD in your inventory and choose "Wear". That's it! The HUD will appear on your screen - it may take a few moments to load fully.
- If you want to remove the HUD from your screen, just right click the HUD on your screen and choose "Detach". Your HUD will still be in your inventory for you to wear again if you wish.
**Using your HUD
- Your HUD is designed to help you participate in the iVillage tour. Use it like you would any software menu, just click on the buttons!
- The most useful part of the HUD is how it helps you get to the tour locations. They're numbered in the tiny boxes below the main picture on the right. The first and last locations are the iVillage loft. The ones in between are the locations the tour will be visiting. Just click the numbered picture for a full description of the location, and then click the Teleport button on the bottom to get a Landmark to that location. Click Teleport on the Landmark when it appears on your screen, and you're off - easy!
- Other useful information on the HUD is the name and photo of the tour host/ess for the evening, a quick link to the iVillage blog website with additional information, and an auto-update feature that updates your HUD with the next tour information as soon as its available...all you have to do it wear it!
**Other helpful information
- If you're brand new to Second Life, there's a lot more to the interface then we have space to go over here...it can be pretty intensive. However, to do the basics - move and chat - keep this in mind: use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move, type what you want to say in chat into the Chat bar at the bottom of your screen and hit Enter to say it, and use your Page Up/Page Down/arrow keys to fly and land.
- There will be a support staff in place for the iVillage tours - look for the avatars in the pink STAFF shirts if you have questions. They will also have text above their names identifying them as iVillage tour staff.
- The Tour Guide will accompany you to the tour locations and will help guide the tour along. The Tour Guide will wear a yellow shirt that says GUIDE, and also have text above his/her name stating that they're the tour guide for the evening.
**How do I listen to music in Second Life?
- For some tour events, we will end with a live musical guest back at the loft. In these events, you can listen along to the musical stream right from Second Life.
- First, along the top left of your screen, go to Edit > Preferences. Click on the Audio & Video tab. Make sure that "Play Streaming Music When Available" box is checked. Then click OK.
- You should now have a small music player tab at the bottom of your screen, with stop, play, and volume controls. Just click the Play button (triangle) to listen to the stream. (It might take a moment to connect.) You may have to adjust the volume slider and/or your system volume to set the volume to your preference.
Now, you can enjoy Girls Night Out events to the fullest!
Jan 3, 2007 | Permalink |