Girls Night Out Instructions
Here are some instructions and tips to help you get the most out of your Girls Night Out experience.
**Grab a free HUD!
- A HUD is a Heads Up Display - it acts like a new customized window on your Second Life screen that only you can see. Using the iVillage HUD is easy:
- click the giant pink Champagne glass either at the entrance to the loft by the stairs, or in the corner of the living room by the patio doors.
- a notice will appear on your screen thanking you by name and letting you know your HUD will be delivered to you momentarily. (You only have to click the glass once - it can take up to a minute for you to get the HUD.)
- You will get a blue message window in the top right of your screen saying "An object named SLB Broker owned by Electric Sheep has given you an object named 'Girls Night Out HUD'". Click the "Keep" button to accept the HUD.
- Open your Inventory folder, then open your Objects folder. The HUD should be right at the top of your list of Objects. Simply right click the HUD in your inventory and choose "Wear". That's it! The HUD will appear on your screen - it may take a few moments to load fully.
- If you want to remove the HUD from your screen, just right click the HUD on your screen and choose "Detach". Your HUD will still be in your inventory for you to wear again if you wish.
**Using your HUD
- Your HUD is designed to help you participate in the iVillage tour. Use it like you would any software menu, just click on the buttons!
- The most useful part of the HUD is how it helps you get to the tour locations. They're numbered in the tiny boxes below the main picture on the right. The first and last locations are the iVillage loft. The ones in between are the locations the tour will be visiting. Just click the numbered picture for a full description of the location, and then click the Teleport button on the bottom to get a Landmark to that location. Click Teleport on the Landmark when it appears on your screen, and you're off - easy!
- Other useful information on the HUD is the name and photo of the tour host/ess for the evening, a quick link to the iVillage blog website with additional information, and an auto-update feature that updates your HUD with the next tour information as soon as its available...all you have to do it wear it!
**Other helpful information
- If you're brand new to Second Life, there's a lot more to the interface then we have space to go over here...it can be pretty intensive. However, to do the basics - move and chat - keep this in mind: use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move, type what you want to say in chat into the Chat bar at the bottom of your screen and hit Enter to say it, and use your Page Up/Page Down/arrow keys to fly and land.
- There will be a support staff in place for the iVillage tours - look for the avatars in the pink STAFF shirts if you have questions. They will also have text above their names identifying them as iVillage tour staff.
- The Tour Guide will accompany you to the tour locations and will help guide the tour along. The Tour Guide will wear a yellow shirt that says GUIDE, and also have text above his/her name stating that they're the tour guide for the evening.
**How do I listen to music in Second Life?
- For some tour events, we will end with a live musical guest back at the loft. In these events, you can listen along to the musical stream right from Second Life.
- First, along the top left of your screen, go to Edit > Preferences. Click on the Audio & Video tab. Make sure that "Play Streaming Music When Available" box is checked. Then click OK.
- You should now have a small music player tab at the bottom of your screen, with stop, play, and volume controls. Just click the Play button (triangle) to listen to the stream. (It might take a moment to connect.) You may have to adjust the volume slider and/or your system volume to set the volume to your preference.
Now, you can enjoy Girls Night Out events to the fullest!
Jan 3, 2007 | Permalink |